Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Christmas Carol

After work last night we took the kids to see A Christmas Carol. I found out when we got there that it was in 3-D (gulp) and then when we got into the theatre everyone (but me) voted to sit in the middle (double gulp). I don't do well in movies where I'm up close and things fly at me (I've had to run out of an Imax movie more than once to barf).

And now that I'm older, the effects of motion (and sound) have a much more pronounced impact on me. A few years ago, I did something stupid. It may have been a coincidence, but nevertheless, from the moment I walked out of the office where I did the stupid thing, I was dizzy for 3 months straight, with several episodes periodically ever since. What was the stupid thing, you ask?

I went to get Hypnotized, people. Yes. I did. I can't remember exactly why I went (migraines maybe?) but I left the woman's office, drove to Costco and couldn't walk straight anymore. It was like I was on a boat in rough waters. Probably pretty entertaining but frightening to watch ("hey, look at that drunk chick! Wait, she just got out of that minivan!")

Nothing seemed to provide me relief and I was running out of hope and went to someone called a "Cranio-Sacral Therapist". I left his office thinking "I just threw $65 bucks in the toilet" but woke up the next day significantly better. And one more visit to him and I only get vertigo when triggered, not spontaneously.

I had to watch a good 25% of the movie with my eyes closed. But what I saw was pretty good, a little too dark for the kids, but great effects and of course the message of the classic tale shined through.

0 comments: