Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Too much of a good thing?

***I have tried three times to enter my paragraph breaks in this post and they are not working for some reason, so I apologize for the one big lump of words below!*** I got myself a membership at the local YMCA a couple of months ago. And it's been great; there's a rooftop track I can run on, loads of cardio equipment, and two pools if I so wish. And the girls love the "adventure zone" where they get to play while I work out. As I've gotten more comfortable, I started participating in some of the classes they offer. Two of my favorites are the Reebok Core Board and the Interval classes. I have been supplementing my running with these two classes. That is until I bumped into a couple of friends one day while I was on the treadmill. "How come you don't come to the spinning class?" he asked. His wife says "I hate that class, I can't feel my crotch afterwards!" I kind of felt like I was being called out, so the next week I joined the class. And the instructor wiped the floor with me. I did awful. But the next day in the Interval class a few more of the ladies were engaging me in conversation... I think I'm earning some street cred with them. I had to miss the next weeks class because I had to drive to Bellingham that morning. I heard that there were inquiries about my whereabouts. I didn't want anyone to think that this class had beaten me (which it had, but why am I concerned about what these people think?) so I ensured my friend that I would be there the following week ready to try again. I brought my cycling shoes this time and holy moly that made a world of difference in my performance! I still got pummeled, but I felt a whole lot better about it. Then I got conned into joining the instructors next class, a quick 30 minute core conditioning class, because she asked me in her overly-charming Scottish accent to join her. My friend who talked me into the spinning class in the first place says "you're taking Gael's next class? Have fun with that." Gulp. Flash forward to today, where I am staying home to do laundry and nurse my rump and right hamstring that is still sore from the horrible charlie horse I gave my self in my feeble attempt at holding my body upright on the exercise ball. But I can't stop. Even though I'm in pain I want to go back for more. I think I believe that A.) It's working and I'm getting stronger and B.) The only solution to the lactic acid and pain I feel is more exercise so that it'll go away faster and C.) I see all the same people there every day I'm there so if they can do it, then so can I.

3 comments:

Erin said...

So I'm not the only one wrestling with blogger today. Grr.

rebecca said...

i want to be you!!!

Unknown said...

You go girl! And, hey- if a little competition gets you to class, it's good.