Wednesday, June 29, 2011

High Five for 5

Saturday I finished my 5th 1/2 marathon! That trumps the pain and "poor" performance I had. I only finished about 30 seconds slower than my finish time last year, but I was in a great deal more pain thanks to my hip. I had to stop several times to un-cramp it only for it to seize up again a half mile down the road. Very frustrating and took all that I had to finish. My friends were at the finish line to share in our victories (Jack and Kate had PR's!) and my sweetie gave me the best hug that brought me to tears.

Running has changed my life and saved my sanity. When I had my "aha" moment about my health and weight, I started walking. Walking got boring as it takes a long time to get to where you want to go, so eventually I started to sneak-run. I would run on the trails above my home where it was private and nobody was there to see my attempts.

Then in 2009 I ran my first 5k, The Human Race. I was 228 pounds and I ran the whole thing. I didn't stop to walk once and am pretty certain I was the last runner to finish that day, but goddammit I did it. And I haven't looked back. I may not be a natural runner and I am certainly not a fast runner, but I'm out there. And I love it. I mean I hate it, but I love what it's done to my life.

Running saved my sanity when I was in the early days of my separation. I felt frantic and sad, angry and free. Running made me forget all the chaos in my life and focus on me and who I was going to be when I came out of this awful thing called divorce. I am thankful that my body is capable to run, and I am proud of the changes in my life and happiness I've found.

Sold Out: 26,000 strong (Mike finished 8,573 and I finished 12,247th overall). Mediocre, that's me! And I'm alright with that. :)

I don't know where my "in-focus" pic is but this is my girl-Friday. We've Three-peated the Rock and Roll 1/2. It's our run-mecca. Running has changed her life too. And her body... oooh-eee she is smokin long and lean!

It is damn early to be standing around Tukwila with 26,000 people. My friend Jack has participated in several events with us (you may start to recognize his face on here). He graduated with Mike and his locker was next to mine for 2 years in high school. He signed every single page of my annual one year. Every. Single. Page. He is a funny, funny man and an inspiration to many. He's lost over 80 pounds and is a race maniac!


I think we've all let our children believe that our medals equate our winning of the race. It's a little bit of magic and I love to see their eyes light up to think their parents WON. That spark of pride. MY mom (or dad) is the WINNER!


How do you feed 26,000 people that just finished 13.1/26.2 miles?

Our 3rd picture like this one. Ok the first one I was waaayyy heavier, and the 2nd one Kate was waaayyy not smiling!


My sweetie and me. He wasn't out running 1/2 marathons when we started dating. He had run in high school, but I may take this moment to mention that his 20th high school reunion is this summer. But I weaseled him into committing to the rock and roll last year (because it's a smokin deal if you register for the next years race the day before this years race) and he reluctantly agreed. Since he agreed to that, we've done several fun runs, another half marathon and have plans for many more in the future! I love that he participates with me. We celebrate each others accomplishments and just plain enjoy each others company.

1 comments:

Kate said...

I just love you Heather. You are the epitome of awesome and I'm so proud of you. Who woulda thought 3+ years ago when we came up with this hare-brained idea to start walking "long" distance that we'd be here.

The pain from the race has barely subsided and already I can't wait for next year, and next time, to do this with you again.

xoxo