Sunday, October 30, 2011

Hard to admit

I found a quote that pretty much sums up why I love to do races:
The difference between a goal and a dream is a deadline. -Steve Smith
If I leave it up to me, I'll probably never find the time to do it. But if I have a date in the future that I need to be prepared for, I'll work towards it.



I was struggling with all the positive affirmations people were showering on me recently. Calling me inspirational 'n stuff. I don't get it. I mean I'm thrilled that people can look at me and say to themselves "if she can do it, I can do it" because I know it's possible for them too. And if seeing me and knowing my story helps them believe it to be true for them too, then fine, I'm an inspiration.





When we ran the Bellingham 1/2 marathon there was a man that was not "built like a runner" not unlike myself or Michael. Now Michael is athletically gifted and driven and has the ability to run a 2 hour 1/2 marathon. I, however, am not so gifted and every mile is a slow struggle for me. But it's OK, because I'm proud that I'm out there doing it, and I cross the same finish line as those who can run it in half the time. But this man was kind of "hanging" with us. Then he told Michael that he wouldn't be where he was if it wasn't for us. We were his inspiration. He was clinging to us as his own drive to finish, and finish stronger than he ever had before. We high fived each other and cheered each other to the finish line. And although it wasn't a PR for me (and poor Mike yo-yo'ed back and forth running ahead then coming back for me) we helped someone PR that day. And that's good enough for me.





Now... I also have been bad about running lately. I just lost my mojo. But I have been attending group exercise classes several times a week. And they're fun and I'm making friends or at least feeling like I'm a member of my new community. One of the classes is called 'Cycle-Yo!" and it's 30 minutes of spin class and 30 minutes of yoga. I am by far the heaviest member of all the classes, but it never really interfered with my workout until Friday. We were in a particular yoga pose (I usually do the basics only due to my lack of balance) but this position I found that I was flexible enough to try for a more advanced pose. Except I couldn't get my leg to stay in place to complete the pose... because my fat middle wouldn't let me bend any further. So every time I tried to bend more, my leg would squish out of position and the instructor would look at me with disappointment (because I know she is obsessed with form over whether or not one can do the most advanced pose) and so I had to tell her "I'm too fat to do the pose." Then I tried to not cry for the rest of class. Even Savasana sucked, and it's usually the whole reason I even do yoga.





So... I'm going to fix it. After the Halloween sugar cookies are gone :)

4 comments:

Kate said...

LOL...we're so alike in our motivation. Although I've been *trying* to be better lately and am working on switching gyms.

And when you get stuck thinking about your weight and body and how far you want to go, please remember how far you have come. You are amazing, my friend. I have every confidence that you'll get there.

rebecca said...

Oh Heather, if I could have you by my side everytime I ran I would be one happy lady. You inspire me more than you will ever know.

Kate said it best; look how far you have come. You are happy, healthy and in a better life than you were a few years ago. Be proud of who you have become. You are AMAZING.

Jen said...

Heather you are an inspiration! Hang in there, at the gym I pretend I have those horse blinders on and don't look at the skinny girls and I have perfected the art of looking in that mirror and not looking at myself.

Littlewally said...

I LOVE YOU