Sunday, November 22, 2009

Everett

The kids and I headed south today to go to the Imagine! Children's Museum. And guess what? It was way fun! Stimulating, engaging, creative... you know, stuff you might look for in a children's museum. Even the roof was open today, which the kids loved and I enjoyed the fresh air and quieter environment, even if it was damp and cold.

We met up with a former high school friend and his family and had a nice visit. It was hard to catch up while chasing our children in a hundred different directions, but that's half the fun of catching up with your past: seeing your friends' lives how they are now. Chasing around a toddler, having an interesting job, etc.

The drive home was anything but stress-free however. We stopped at Costco in Marysville to load up on the basics for lunches (wine, cheese...) and when I reached down to pick up the case of juice boxes to load I split my knuckle open. Again. I cut it on Wednesday or Thursday, and the damn thing still gushes blood everytime I look at it sideways. So anyway, I didn't realize I had split it open until there were big red droplets hitting the conveyor belt. Nothing like dripping some bodily fluids in a public place to feel like the plague. Oh, and I got it all over my wallet and smeared up my receipt (when I grabbed it before realizing my hand was covered in blood) which made the guy at the door cringe at me. I told him "don't touch my receipt, it's bloody" and he looked at me like I had spit on him. Nice.

From Marysville heading North, I merged on to I-5 in the middle of an idiot convoy. Holy hell, I thought someone might kill me last night. Nobody could maintain a speed (not even 50) let alone just effing drive courteously. Add-in a record amount of standing water on the freeway entering Mt. Vernon (I think I planed a good dozen times) and I thought I might crack for sure.

Finally home, the kids ran off the cooped-up-car energy and after bedtime I finally settled into bed to relax and watch the last bit of season 3 of Weeds. Excellent show. With 2 episodes left, Brady comes upstairs complaining about his elbow (he tried to ambush me at Starbucks earlier that day, but my sweet ninja skillz were too powerful. He missed me and fell and skinned his elbow pretty bad). In to bed he goes, off goes Weeds (not PG); B falls asleep, Weeds back on. At 11:45 his head pops up and he makes "the sound". But there is no time to heed the warning. He stood up and barffed all over my bed. All over. All I could do was jump up and grab him as soon as he paused (and promptly started screaming at the top of his lungs). I ran him to the toilet and went back to assess the damages (total loss), came back in to the bathroom and found that destroyed as well, but Brady was perky as could be. "What times does dad get home?" he chirps. "Can I go say hi to Radish?" he begs. "What do you think we're doing tomorrow?" he ponders. Dude! You just created like 30 minutes of work for me at midnight, not including more cleaning tomorrow! And you want to have a little chat? Aren't you sick? Aren't you tired? Apparently you don't need me to drop all this and comfort and snuggle you! So then I felt like a jerk because he's all chit-chatting while I'm arm deep in cleanup and snap at him to go lay down and be quiet; and for christssake if you get that rumble again, RUN!

After all the chaos had died down, he did decide he needed me to mommy him a bit. I don't get that much from him, so I scooped him up and rubbed his fuzzy little head and he drifted off in my arms where he stayed spooned up next to me all night.

Guess who also woke up super chipper at 7:30? I don't get it. But at least I get to go shopping for new bedding now!

***Forgot the camera at home. And I didn't think anyone would appreciate me photographing ruined bedding to add spice to today's post. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I see enough gore and blood at work, don't need to see it here thank you. :) Hope your knuckle is okay! Yikes.

Sorry 'bout your bed. That's icky.

Unknown said...

That is quite a story.