Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Plans...

Today I dropped off the kids at school and headed to the infamous Taylor Steps... I think finding a parking spot mid-morning near WWU proved to be just as exhausting as the 800 steps up (and 800 down).
The reason I have a new obsession with steps isn't totally for vanity's sake (though I'm hoping my hind end will look pretty nice as a result). This spring I'm finally doing The Big Climb. I was prepared to do it solo this spring when some former classmates formed a team (but don't get me started on our team name, it's so lame. So obviously created by a guy.) So for prides sake (and my dad's honor) I've been training so that I can smoke these guys to the top. I'll probably fail miserably (at the smoking them part) but figure a little trash talk is good motivation for everyone.
My dad was training to do the The Firefighter Challenge (it's The Big Climb but the firefighters do it in full turnout gear) when he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (the childhood kind). He suddenly went from being a participant to being the honoree. He was discharged from the hospital and I took him down to the event that spring (the last picture I have of my dad was taken this day) and I watched him help change oxygen tanks for his fellow firefighters on the 40th floor. It was a very emotional day, and I can't wait to climb for him!

Oh, and if you'd like to help donate to my cause, you can do so HERE. I am willing to bake for my donations too, you know valentines day is coming up... does your kid need some kick-ass treats to take to school?

AND, I've made tentative plans to do the Whidbey Island half-marathon (north end) with Miss Kate, which means I HAVE to do the South end marathon come July (Chochokum weekend, which if I recall was like the weekend after Rock and Roll Marathon, which would be why I DID NOT participate last year!) Oh, and of course I'm doing the Rock and Roll Seattle again (and another? Vegas? San Diego? New Orleans?) and Bellingham's again, that one was fun. Hmmm... what else?

7 comments:

Erin said...

You are nuts.

Kate said...

You're awesome. :)

rebecca said...

You are on fire!!!! If I stand next to you will some of your athletic ability rub off on me? I need help!!!!

Jen said...

Way to go Heather! You are an inspiration!

Elizabeth, Jackson and Thomas said...

So happy for you! Go Heather Go! :)

Littlewally said...

Just know at the end of the day when were all tipping one back at the ale house...we will still come back for you when your done...LOL

Good Job.

amy and mighty max said...

Sooooo proud and thrilled for you Heather! AMAZING! :)

(And I'm sure your dad is smiling knowing you are carrying on his wish..)