Friday, October 30, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

Did you know that Larry and I danced our first dance as a married couple to a John Denver song? Yup. Larry picked it, it's a very sweet song called Dreamland Express... ah, I digress.

I got home Tuesday from a wonderful weekend with Jackie in Colorado. We kind of "met in the middle" since she now calls Minnesota home. Her very spry 84 year old Grandpa lives in a little town called Franktown (and his name is Frank!) and we stayed with him and his wife Katie. It was fun to be a part of her family for the weekend, different family dynamics are always entertaining (she has a particularly "colorful" uncle named Fred).

Snow dampened some of our plans so we didn't get to go Estes Park and tour the Stanley hotel, but we did get to see a lot of Colorado regardless.

The flights home were smooth and I even flew over Whidbey, which I got to see due to the clear skies (I don't think I've ever flown home to Bellingham in clear skies!) I saw all these bits of "home" from the plane, and I teared up and got some strange looks from the passenger next to me.

And no matter how much fun (and relaxing!) my vacation was, nothing beats your kids running into your arms after time away. Natalie hugged and kissed me until my luggage arrived, then made sure she held my hand all the way to the car. Brady kept leaning into me like a cat, just kind of making sure I was there and to get a few hugs and kisses. Larry was much more civilized ;)

So without further ado, some snapshots of my trip!

I stayed downtown on Saturday and when I went out for dinner, I ran into chaos! Zombies everywhere! Even the Ghostbusters showed up!
Who ya gonna call?

View from the dining room, a deer was having breakfast. The deer and a skunk were the only wildlife I saw.
Jackie and I ordered Mai Tai's at the Mongolian BBQ restaurant while we waited for her co-workers. After 2 sips, "everyone was our friend". It also prompted quite a funny collections of self-portraits!
In Manitoo Springs, Jackie revealed what kind of "lover" she is.
This is the change in the layers of rock at Garden of the Gods. Jackie said it looks like I peed on the rocks.
Steamboat rock.
Jackie and Balanced Rock.
Me and Balanced Rock.
Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.
"Kissing Camels".
Pike's Peak is only a few hundred feet shorter than Mt. Rainier, but at elevation it doesn't look like it!
Pike's Peak from Grandpa's back deck.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Yes "colorful" is a good word. Ha Ha. Um - some lovely snapshots of Moi. Thanks. The "nature" pics turned out great :) Glad we could meet up in the middle, I know everyone enjoyed your company buuttt..maybe next time we will do sans the "fam" :) xoxo

Jen said...

Great pictures! I now want to go to Colorado. It would be so fun to catch up with an old friend sans family!