Friday, March 18, 2011

Goodbye Yellow Tooth Road...

A quick before: This is the only picture I have of Natalie at about 18 months old before I got her broken tooth "fixed".
It was Labor Day weekend, and Natalie tore around the corner of the kitchen and fell. And cried. And it was right before nap time, so I laid her down and when she woke up I noticed 3/4 of her tooth was missing! Of course by that time it was nearing 5pm on Friday (of a 3 day weekend). When we got in to see the dentist he had all kinds of recommendations, from pulling it, to lining with silver (just leaving it alone was risky since the break was close to the nerve and could cause Natalie more pain). I decided that my beautiful little girl wasn't going to live the next 5 years with a.) no front tooth or b.) a eastern European-style silver rimmed tooth. I wanted her tooth back! So I paid to have them cap it, but unknown to me they had to do a root canal on it, which killed the tooth and eventually turned it yellow. I would have rather her live with a hole or chip! So today after school the kids were racing to the car and Natalie caught an elbow to the face which caused some bleeding. And pain. So I snuggled her up like a baby and pulled that (very loose) tooth right out, easy-peasy. But gross to pull. I hated pulling my own teeth, and pulling someone else's wasn't any more of a pleasant experience. But she's thrilled, and she said she's now truly "six", and she wants the tooth fairy to bring her a Fushigi.

1 comments:

Erin said...

Never has a mother been so happy to see a hole in her kid's face!