Sunday, June 7, 2009

The toe and the bubble.

Today Kate and I did our "trial run" to get some serious miles under our belt. Well, we ended up almost walking the entire half-marathon (a half-marathon is 13.1 miles)! We headed out on the Interurban trail and turned around at Larrabee State Park (did you know that it's Washington's first state park? did I already tell you that?). Did I also tell you that my b/f/f Jackie thought Larrabee was a pet name for my husband? It wasn't, but it is now!
That brown strip is the creek where we started from at Arroyo park.
When all was said and done (#steps on top, actual miles on bottom):

What happens when you walk 12.14 miles with hot toes:


When I got home, Larry had "resolved" the REI problem. They screwed him. The wouldn't honor the 20% discount we got when we made the initial purchase because we ended up having to exchange the part for another version since they no longer carry what we wanted and they sold us an incomplete part in the first place. They said they couldn't give him the discount because we weren't "exchanging" it! Bullshit! So I got on the handy-dandy email and sent out a friendly but assertive email calling their b.s. Of course corporate agreed with me (am I ever wrong?) and they will be crediting us back our 20%. Oh, did I also mention that the replacement that we had to purchase also cost $50 more than the first one? Don't get me wrong, I love REI, but sometimes you get a dumbo behind the register, you know? Maybe he was out mushroom hunting before he came into work.

Larry went and put some miles in on his bike and we met up at Boulevard park where, get this, Natalie walked the entire boardwalk to and fro! My lazy girl didn't whine and moan (OK maybe a bit at the end). We had dinner at Dos Padres and capped off the evening with a soak in the Jacuzzi.

3 comments:

Elizabeth, Jackson and Thomas said...

You are making some serious mileage! Running 3.5 miles one day and logging another 12 the next...very impressive! Go Heather Go! :)

Brooke said...

Good job! Icky toe! You guys are gonna do great at the marathon!

Kate said...

Your poor toe! Ouch! Other than your toe, how do you feel?

Glad you got REI to see things your way.