Friday, July 31, 2009

Mom's Big Day

Today is my mom's last day as a working stiff! She officially retires from the United States Post Office after too many years. She has endured spider nests in rural mailboxes, delivering mail in snow and ice, nasty Napoleon-complex co-workers, served famous people like Grethe Cammermeyer(famed National Guard Colonel and gay rights activist), Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed from Rocky), and who can forget Cat Man?
After working with the "general public" for so many years (the stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me), my mom is taking off for a two week cruise through Alaska with her new fella. I think it's a wonderful way to decompress and celebrate this new adventure in her life.
The kids asked me what Grandma was going to do now that she won't work anymore. I told them she was going to "Sit around on her rump" which made them giggle with glee and they can't wait to ask her how her rump-sitting is going!
A quote for my mom:
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted."
Love you mom, a million congratulations!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Awesome! Congrats to the momma!

Jen said...

Congratulations to your Mom! How lucky you are to have a retired Mom in the same town!