Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pinewood derby

Yesterday Julie, the kids and I headed up to Blaine loaded up with baked goodies and flowers to surprise my mom on her last day. All of her co-workers were so nice and all of them expressed how much they were going to miss her, and wouldn't she just come back on Monday and stop this retirement nonsense. But she has big plans now that she is free!
The kids also got to go to the movies with Grandma Honey yesterday. She took them to see G-force (Guinea pigs that are spies or something). I was so grateful that she called and wanted to take them, because I really didn't want to see this movie and of course Brady was dying to see it. They had a great time and they got to pick out a toy at Tuesday Morning too. Brady picked out a remote control airplane that does nothing but divebomb the earth at full speed. Natalie picked out a real gem of a toy: NASCAR Barbie. She is in a White mini-dress and has a black tank top underneath that says "I {heart} #8". I think that's Dale Earnhardt or something. It doesn't really matter who it is, it's still White Trash Barbie!
Today we headed to the Pinewood Derby which was really fun to watch (once it finally got going. The track was very late arriving.) But my kids' derby cars were definitely "kid made" where 99% of the others were "parent made". Except for the raw brick of pinewood with wheels on it, my kids' cars were the simplest. And they were way too light, so I taped a bunch of pennies to the top of them to get some weight on them. Have you seen that commercial with the kid and the ugly pinewood car that wins? That was my kids... minus the winning part. Natalie tied in the second heat race off, and Brady came in 3rd. But now we know the nuances of racing, I think next year will be much more successful.
We wandered on down to the farmers market afterwards and picked up a couple of Hawaiian Shave Ice's and some produce and bumped into the Food Fest, where my children spent their food tickets on pizza and donut holes. Such connoisseurs of fine cuisine.
Brady fell asleep at 6:00 tonight, the ONLY reason he ever falls asleep that early (or naps) is because he doesn't feel well. Camping might not be in our future after all...

1 comments:

Jen said...

I forgot about the Bite of Bellingham. I heard it's delicious!