Sunday, December 30, 2007

My little boy...

Asked me last night as I kissed him goodnight "Am I going to have a different voice when I get bigger?" I could tell he was a little nervous about the idea. My first thought was to answer him with this: "Of course not, honey, you will always have your own voice, the sound may change and you will sound more like daddy (made a silly deep voice) but it will always be your voice." He seemed satisfied, and I felt satisfied that I was telling him the truth about his physical body (He's almost half way to puberty!) but also telling him that nobody should speak for you or that he should never feel that he doesn't "have" a voice. I know he didn't get that out of the conversation, but maybe it will open the door to other conversations about bigger things.

And Natalie's big epiphany moment was last week in the car "I'm not a monster mommy, I'm Nat a Wee!" And a conversation on the way to the dump about who in this family has penises and who doesn't. Watch Larry squirm! He did well, I've told him to just agree when they state a fact like that, and it seems to blow over very quickly because they don't have to reaffirm themselves by telling everyone in the grocery store and at school, and on the bus...

1 comments:

Kate said...

Don't you just love those kind of moments? Sam asked me the same thing the other day, about what his voice would sound like when he got bigger. How on earth do you answer that?? "Uhhh, honey, you'll sound like YOU. Only bigger." I love their curiosity though. So innocent.

Oh and Zoe think she's got a penis too. And calls it such. So hubby told her "No, you have a va-jay-jay." Oh great. My two year old is going to sound like Oprah. Although that's only marginally worse than using the actual word "vagina". I hate that word.