Monday, August 11, 2008

Date with my hubby (and family)


Larry's Uncle Mike and his girlfriend (very nice) Dana are visiting from Santa Barbara. They both really wanted to kayak a little around the beautiful Puget sound, so Larry's mom volunteered us to take them (she assumed that Larry was an experienced kayaker, since he has dabbled in almost every sport).
Larry had never been kayaking. I was shocked. I've been once with an old boyfriend up in a quiet little lake. Mike had never been. And Dana had about as much experience as I did.
But nevertheless, we ventured out to the open water with the generous lending of kayaks by my dear friend Elizabeth and her husband Jim. The kayaks must be pretty indestructible for him to freely lend them to us!
The kayak that Larry and I used was a behemoth... and Larry made me get in and paddle out and back it in, thanks. It was like parallel parking a U-Haul.
But it was absolutely wonderful. We travelled a little over 4 miles round trip. We stopped on a little island off Chuckanut Drive, Larry found a sign that said Cyrus Nature preserve, and we had a little picnic and watched some anemones and a little crab scurrying around. The beach was white "sand", all broken up barnacles, it was really cool. A Seal investigated us while we had our picnic too.
On the way home, we saw 2 Great Blue Herons, tons of Starfish, and several little fish doing spectacular jumps.
Larry threatened my life if I tried to take our camera (since we only have the Nikon, I'm going to sneak into Costco and get myself another point and shoot, I really miss it). So the only photo I have is this teeny-tiny photo of Mike and Dana getting acquainted with their kayak.

2 comments:

Jen said...

sounds like awonderful day!

rebecca said...

It sounds amazing. What a great way to spend time with your hubby.