Thursday, August 14, 2008

Murphy's Law

No law applies more to my life than this one (OK, not really, but this is creative writing, right?). My camera got lost/stolen on the 31st of July (2 weeks ago today). I figured I must have dropped it somewhere between the railway museum and our car back on Railroad, and had no hope of it being returned if I lost it on Railroad (all the dirtbags hang out there). My phone number was printed on the bottom of the camera (love my P-touch labeler!). I put my phone # on there when we went to see the Dalai Lama in Seattle, assuming that if it got lost, the people would fear bad kharma if they kept it.
So I left the label on there, just to keep my faith in the human race. My faith was dashed when my camera went missing, and I knew that whoever found it had every opportunity to call and return it to me, and decided to keep it. And of course my spare battery and memory card were in the camera bag, meaning another $75 gone on top of the $250 camera.
So I've been missing my little camera terribly, and decided that I was going to buy the same one again. So I ordered it on Tuesday from costco.com (it was another megapixel better and came with a free 2G memory card) and I could get it in blue. So I was excited, but regretful for having to make this purchase.
The camera shipped today and in transit.
Guess who got a phone call today?
It's at the train museum. He'd been dialing the wrong phone number this whole time.
We're catching the bus down town in 20 minutes to retrieve it.
I feel like I just saved $300 today!