Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Fair... in stages.






First of all, the ticketing process for us to attend the fair was a total cluster F, if you know what I mean. I "smartly" ordered our Demo Derby tickets and our discount ride bands online. They were awaiting us at Will Call. And I bought our entry tickets (last year that both kids are free) at Haggen for $1 off. I was making all kinds of deals.
I get to the Fairgrounds, and there are 3 enormous lines and not one of them are marked as to why you might want to stand in one of them. So I FINALLY stand in the right line (after standing in line to find out what line I need to be in) to get my arm bands (I'd since sent Larry inside the fair to feed the anxious children), and found out that after I stand in THIS line, I need to go stand in ANOTHER line to enter the fair, then walk over to the grandstands and stand in YET ANOTHER line to retrieve our derby tickets. I was about done with the fair before it even started!
But we got everything we needed, and hunkered down to enjoy a couple hours of crashing cars. By far the highlight was the "Honda Smash". But it was a Jetta. Anyway, they took a Jetta and stripped it down to the frame. Then they backed it up against some Jersey barriers. Then in rolled this crappy old bus and the bus went full throttle at the Jetta. It was fan-freakin-tastic. The bus annihilated the Jetta and jumped over the Jersey barriers (that were stacked 3 high) and knocked some of those over too. Testosterone at it's finest, I tell ya.
Then the 3 heats of the derby (after a figure 8 competition, fun by too much to go into). We noticed that one of the cars said "Dykstra Construction" and on the side it said "Dog, Duck and Chuck". That's our friend Jen's car (those are nicknames for her son and 2 daughters)!! We saw her, and luckily her husband wasn't the driver, and they placed 2nd.
More fair to follow...

0 comments: