Friday, August 22, 2008

Yee haw


I resisted going, but at the rate my children were destroying the house, I rustled them up and headed to Lynden to the rodeo (half hoping they would fall asleep on the way there and I would turn tail and head for home). But no such luck for me.
Earlier in the day the kids had their 2nd karate lesson, where they were to test for their white belts. Natalie started sobbing uncontrollably when the instructor showed her how to kick (I think it intimidated her), and Brady refused to even dress in his uniform, let alone make eye contact with anyone. It was a huge, embarrassing disaster. I don't know how I'm supposed to hold out hope for my son if a karate instructor can't whip him into shape!
The kids had fun at the rodeo, they were in good moods, just wild moods. There was a 10 foot perimeter around us on all sides in the grandstands. I pretended not to notice that, but it was pretty clear we were being avoided.
We headed out before the crowds cleared, which also meant we missed most of the bull riding, which was a little disappointing, but not worth staying for another half hour with my children to see.
I figured I was home free since it's a 20+ minute drive home from Lynden. Nope. The two talked a blue streak until Axton road, when I finally snapped at them to "cool it", "pipe down", "let's have some quiet time", "momma's trying to concentrate on driving". I tried many times to tone down the talking, but they were happy to chat quietly in the back while I drove home. At 9:45 p.m.
I can't wait for school to start.

1 comments:

Brooke said...

I am counting the days until school starts too! I almost went to the rodeo last night...but you saw my dirt post. I guess they really dont have to be clean for the rodeo though, maybe we will try for tonight.