Sunday, March 29, 2009

DARE



It's a dictionary I would l-0-v-e to have. It is a record of regional vocabulary. I love that stuff. I loved Linguistics in college, I shoulda been a social anthropologist. The dictionary has stuff like what people call things like: Soda, or Pop, or Soda pop, or Coke (regardless what it is). Or we might have a Bar-B-Que here on the west coast, but where my b/f/f lives in Minnesota, they have Grill-Outs. Or if you need to get to the diagonal corner of an intersection, I would say "it's kitty-corner", but apparently others may say "catty-corner", or "cater-corner". But the dictionary is like $100, so for now I'll just have to do with what's available online, or make more friends across the country to listen to.

I could just buy the book in my sons scholastic book order, it's about the power of punctuation called Eats, Shoots & Leaves. Looks like it could be a fun book. It also reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines (from a movie I've never seen)called View from the Top. Mike Meyers is a flight attendant or something and says " You put the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong syLLABle."


Our view from I-5 heading home from Mt. Vernon Saturday (after an afternoon at Jungle Playland with Erin, and an unexpected family reunion for me, I ran into my Aunt and cousin who were also there).

5 comments:

Lyndie said...

We must have just missed you at Jungle Playland!! We were there until about 11:00ish.

Kate said...

What a fun book! I'lll have to keep my eyes out for that one.

rebecca said...

Scary, I was at Jungle Playland yesterday. Sorry I missed you.

Anonymous said...

HA! HA! HA! In MA we have "cook-outs" and the remote for the TV is not a remote, it's a "clicker".

Jackie said...

Yes-- B/f/f lives in a weird world here!! I still use you words of wisdom.."They are called Barbecue beans..not grill out beans!"... and so for a reason! Love U :)