Sunday, May 10, 2009

On Mothers day

I was reminded today by my son that today, Mother's Day, doesn't necessarily mean you get to have a day of leisure or day without "mothering". Quite the opposite. As I held him during one of his half-dozen tantrums this morning, I started to get angry that he was behaving this way on "my day". Then I said the name of "my day" to myself. It's not "my day", it's "Mother's day", and getting over myself and trying to help my son get over himself is part of being a mother I suppose, and he was truly testing my mothering today. We don't get to pick and choose our children, and when Larry and I decided to jump into this new life of parenthood, we both agreed that we were prepared to love our child, regardless of any challenges they may present to us. We had open eyes to the reality that it is a pure miracle that most humans are born whole and without challenges. Our children are healthy and happy. We just have a few glitches here and there ;)









Sneakin' quick shots of the banjo player (and that odd little boy under his elbow attached himself to us. He sat with us, ate our snacks, followed us on our walks... his folks volunteer on the train. Actually his mom volunteered, I watched his dad drive off on his motorcycle.)


Uh-Oh, busted.

Doesn't this little church sound inviting?

0 comments: