Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Back from Holiday

That's what the Canadians call it, anyway. We got a late start, so we didn't get to shop at Archie McPhee's (want to use and abuse my brother and his discount anyway) but had THE BEST DINNER OUT (Larry inserted the "out" part quickly, smart man) at Ray's Boathouse on Shilshole bay (that's by the Ballard Locks). I love Ballard, I would love to spend a whole weekend alone there just puttering. Hannah's sister in on the chef staff at Ray's and so after gorging ourselves on king crab legs (lar) and I had the sampler (salmon, sablefish (my total fav), and a crab cake) and a great bottle of Cab. ( I used my scrapbooking notebook to jot down the wine... I'll make use of that notebook yet!) Rachel came out to say hello to us (don't you always feel a teensy bit more important than everyone else in the restaurant when part of the kitchen staff comes to your table?) and then she sent out, get this... a cherry chocolate Folly. OH. I needed a cigarette afterwards. It was sour cherrys over a firm chocolate mousse. YEAH.

Larry and I rolled out of there and stopped at B&N and Larry picked up the book I've been wanting and said "I thought about getting you this for V-Day. It looked like something you'd really like." Awww. and it totally is perfect for me! It's the 1001 places to see before you die, N. America version. I want it to be a realistic book for me to accomplish, I'll worry about the world once my children are raised.

Met Rich and Hannah back at the hotel, Natalie conned Hannah into making her eggs (at 9pm) so we had to wait to get our kids back. I love that they are so close now, and they can really start to BE in my kids lives. Because Nat and B are mad about them. I think I've mentioned this before, but it warrants a repeat.

Got up and took a swim (a little uncomfortable since most of the hotel guests were in suits heading to their meetings... here come the Allred's in their skivvys. I felt kind of like The Grimwalds relatives in Christms Vacation (Randy Quaid?).

Got Nat her birthday gift at Toys R Us... the manager said that they are looking (but it has been shot down so far) into opening at ToysRUs/ Babies R Us up our way again. I told him it was a smart idea.

Then to the Everett Childrens Museum. The roof was open, but it was cold as hell, so Natalie and I peeked, and left. The boys excavated dinosaur bones, played the instruments, and chased each other in the fort before heading back down. Natalie just wasn't on her "A" game, so we did a lot of snuggling, and then she served me "lunch" at the museum kitchen.

And home again, home again, jiggity jig!

0 comments: