Saturday, February 2, 2008

My Samurai Stir-Fry


















Now this version was the Haggen version, and it was very good; but to be honest I usually go with the Fred Meyer version... there are only 2 small differences.

First you put a little bit of oil in a large skillet and saute the chicken until it is just barely done. Then you add the veggies and the following: a spoonful of garlic, a spoonful (to taste, this stuff is powerful) of the garlic chilie sauce, and quite a few good shakes of soy sauce. You cook this until the veggies are just tender, then add the Yaki (or Chuka) Soba noodles and use your tongs to mix the noodles in there and warm them through. That's it.

Now the difference between the Haggen version and the Freddie's version is this: Fred's sells a nice little clam pack of stir fry veggies in the produce section, as well as referigerated Yaki Soba noodles (also in produce). I usually grab a pack of veggies, a handful of bean sprouts, and 2 packages of the pre-cooked noodles.

Haggen does not sell the Yaki Soba noodles. At least I can't find them. So I bought the dried Chuka Soba noodles (asian food aisle) and cook them according to the bag. Then I grab a few good handfuls of the the "bulk" stir-fry mix and and a handful of the bean sprouts and do it that way. The Chuka Soba noodles are good, but I like the Yaki a little bit better.

Be careful with that chili sauce, I'm serious. You could really wreck the dish by making your face melt with too much of this stuff. But it's also what makes the dish so good to. Know your fire mouth limit. One normal size spoonful is PLENTY for most people.

And one last thing. For a few days now, I have been unable to spellcheck, and it's causing me a lot of stress that I am sending out uncorrected messages. So now I can't check my spelling or put a picture behind my title... my blog is falling apart!

Oh... and after I made all this lovely stir-fry, Larry just walked in with a giant bag of mussels that he plans on gorging on. So I'll have lots of leftovers.

0 comments: