Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oh, look! I found my pity pot!

I worked so diligently around the house yesterday. But after a late evening followed by a night of fitful sleep (and a size 10 foot in my back, thank you Natalie), I woke up in a slump. That and payday is still a week away and the bills are mounding. I hate that January is our insurance month. Auto insurance is due, as well as Christmas (though 95% of Christmas was cash) bills, and all the medical bills got reconciled and now we're receiving 2008 bills. I hate Aetna insurance. We're battling 2 bills from visits for both Larry and myself that got approved, but now they are not paying. And don't get me started on the $1600+ we got stuck with for Brady's speech therapy. Seriously. I could rant for 4 paragraphs. Oh, and that flood in our kitchen last week? Yeah, now there is a big bubble under our flooring in two places in our kitchen. $$$Flush.
So I've been doing my best to be frugal, both out of necessity and just because I'd like to live my life a little more (by living with less).
Which brings me to my pity pot. I went through my pantry list and decided to try making "Cheeseburger Pie". I found the recipe online, and it looked good, if not a bit white trash. Most of the comments on the recipe went along the lines of "I served it up with Tots and it was excellent!" or "If the kids aren't eating any, I put peas and mushrooms in it" (because the kids can't eat it with any nutritional value?) I had all of the ingredients, and the topper was just Bisquick. I opened my box (way in the back of the pantry) of Bisquick... Weevils. Blech! Then I decided to go all pioneer woman and make my own Bisquick mix. Yup. Except for that I had like 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder left. So I had to make my own baking powder too. Which I did. So now it's in the oven. I have no idea if this crap is edible at this point or not. Because I was also a little short in the shortening department (an ingredient in making your own Bisquick). Ack.
Then... as I'm struggling to make this godforsaken meal, my co-worker Vickie calls me and invited me over to have a girls night over at her house and watch Mama Mia! (which I'm dying to see, I love ABBA). But alas, I have children. And a husband who works until 8:30 on a Saturday night. So I am home, knowing that there is fun being had without me.
Mama Mia, here I go again...


P.S. Dinner turned out decent. Tasted like a meatloaf (casserole style) with a tasty biscuit on top. Not a superstar dinner, but not the nightmare I imagined it could have been!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I used to love cheeseburger casserole as a kid! I think I still have the recipe and it didn't have shortening, I'll try and find it. I also love tater tot casserole but I've never made it! Those are two of my WT guilty pleasures.

Sara Blair said...

I love cheeseburger casserole! Mmmm yummy! I have Mama Mia if you wanna borrow it...I think I even have the sing a long version...

Jackie said...

My thought is... You would def. be my first pick to have around on a deserted island, sticky sitch kinda deal. Wine out of water? :)