Monday, December 29, 2008

The Dentist And the Damage Done.

This morning the kids had their check-ups at the dentist. Dr. Swanson is a very kind man with a gentle staff as well. Brady did great, nervously sitting in the exam chair and dutifully allowing the counting, scraping, x-rays, and fluoride. He got to wear sunglasses and headphones while watching The Bee Movie. He did great with little to report.

Natalie? Oh, you mean you didn't hear her screaming from your house? Oh. She had 3 of us holding her while Dr. Swanson counted her teeth and at one point broke free from our grip (we were all a little surprised of the strength of a 3 year old.) She gnashed her teeth and hissed, bit the mirror, scratched at my chest and bucked wildly in the air. She screamed in a blood-curdling scream (if you haven't experienced a girly fit, you have no idea what I mean) and tried all kinds of tactics to get us to stop: "I need to tell my mom something!" "I need to go outside!" "I don't want to be here!" and our favorite, that brought tears to my eyes "I don't like you Dentist!" Once the torture was finished, she snatched the cup of water from the tech with daggers in her eyes. She gulped the water and crumpled the cup and sulked.

Seriously?! (hi Sara!)

I make it a point to talk to the children about the dentist frequently and always tell them several days or a week in advance that they have an appointment. I explain exactly what they can expect to happen, and that they earn a prize at the end of their checkup. I think I do a pretty good job as a parent in this department about educating and taking the unknown out of going to see the dentist. Apparently Natalie thinks I'm full of shit.

While I was helping to restrain my daughter I began to doubt what we were doing exactly. She is pitching the fit of her life and what kind of permanent fears are we instilling in her? But then, she is being totally ridiculous in her behavior as the dentist is simply touching her teeth. So I can hardly condone her behavior since the consequence isn't painful, just invasive. And just like we (well most of us) immunize our children for their health, we will continue to see the dentist every 6 months and we will continue to hold her down while she squeals like a stuck pig.

Natalie last night after the movie (Bedtime Stories).

2 comments:

rebecca said...

that is to funny. Sorry you had a bad morning, I bet you were sweating as well. I get so hot when my kids get worked up in public.

When I was 18 months, my mom took me to the doctor (I had an ear infection I think); anyway, it took 3 nurses and my mom to hold me down so the doctor could look into my ears. Afterwards, the doctor told my mom, never to bring me back. Nice doc!

Kate said...

Did you like Bedtime Stories?? We saw it Christmas Day and loved it.

I'm already prepping Zoe for her dentist appt in January. She talks like it's no big deal but we'll see what happens when push comes to shove.