Sunday, December 28, 2008

Gag a maggot

That was a favorite saying of my dad's. What Larry and I had to deal with today made me say "gag a maggot". I had started cleaning our downstairs bathroom and doing loads of laundry (after having the dogs living inside for 2 weeks, it was a little stinky and hairy). Larry hollered at me to bring towels.
That led to an hour long plumbing fiasco, pulling apart our entire sink and dishwasher and, well it was gross. And not how I wanted to spend a Sunday morning. But it also led me to think about some phrases that I heard often growing up:
-Gag a Maggot
-Tough titty said the kitty when the milk went dry
-It's colder than a well-diggers toe.
-You wanna knuckle sandwich?
-I'll give you something to cry about.
I'm sure there are many others, but their either too "colorful" (like what my dad always said when he hit his head, which he did often earning himself the nickname 'Billy Bumphead') or I've blocked them from my childhood memories.
Another random thought is something that my Grandma Alice and I did all the time, and I secretly have done it my entire life, and am now teaching my children to do it. Every time I pass through either a broken fence (posts without chains for example) or pass by something that separates whomever I'm with (a lamppost perhaps) I have to say "Bread and Butter" to nix out the jinx. Just like bread and butter go together, I have to say it to "put together" whatever was separated. Does that make sense? I don't really believe in the jinx, but it's a fond memory I have of my Grandma Alice.
How 'bout you, any funny family sayings/quirks?

3 comments:

t said...

Ewww!!

One of my favorite sayings is "you'd bitch if you weren't hung with a new rope" For the gripers yo!

Kate said...

I like the Bread & Butter! That's cute.

Unknown said...

Bread and butter was a favorite of my grandmother's too, and I still do it.