Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The tugging of the apron strings

So my nagging feeling about all this nonsense today was the reality of raising your children to be citizens of the world. These small things that happen so close to home make us all see what we choose to ignore.
I grew up in such a small community, where we never locked our doors (car, home, or otherwise), we knew everyone in school and our parents knew all of their families. Now I live in a city. A small city. A city I love. And now. Now I worry. I know it was "nothing" today. But my head has been pulled out of the sand.
That these dumbass kids thought "what's the big deal?" when they left hundreds of people worrying because even though it was just a bb gun, and yes boys like to shoot each other with bb guns (my brother has taken more than one bb to the butt), but that the horrific things that have happened around our country makes that notion of a threat a real fear. That's why I can't take it as a joke. Or brush is off as 3 boys playing with a bb gun. Why did they stash it in the bushes? Why did they ever think it would be a good idea to bring it anywhere near their school? Fine boys, if you want to shoot at each other, go to a paintball field, or shoot bb's at each other in your own back yard. I mean heck, my son's window got shot out by an airsoft gun, but that was because 2 boys were playing in their back yard. Their mom knew. That's how boys are supposed to play. So a window got shot out. That's how boys play and learn hard lessons (by paying for my broken window).

4 comments:

t said...

I'm sorry you had such a hard day. IT certainly speaks to the times how law enforcement has to react to such things.. and it's happening with more and more frequency.

Glad you all are safe!

rebecca said...

Griffin told me last week he had an "attack drill". They turned out all the lights and the kids had to hide. It freaked me out. I remember fire and earthquake drills, but never lock down attack drills. It's a big bad world out there and I wish our kids didn't have to grow up so fast in it.

Brooke said...

Uhg, thats an awful feeling, one of the reasons we moved.

Erin said...

Hey, our parents had atomic bomb drills! "Quick kids, get under your desks to shelter yourself from the nuclear bomb!" How on earth does a child process this stuff?