Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BrownChickenBrownCow!

Ahh, that's been in my head all day... if you want to know why, you'll have to call me. Trust me, it's worth it. Even Larry and his boyfriends have been calling each other to say it.



Last night Brady commented that his ear wouldn't pop. I told him to yawn, kissed him and said goodnight. About 30 minutes later, I've got a miserable, painfully moaning/whining/crying 6 year old in my bed. Larry loads him up with a dose of Tylenol and I cuddled him while he moaned in pain. It was kind of amusing though he was crying and crying, and after about 20 minutes he was unconscious. It's like the timer on the Tylenol went off, his pain subsided, and he could drift off to sleep.
He said it felt a little better this morning, but that he still couldn't pop it. I made the quick decision to take him in to the doctor rather than wait and see. I've spent too many holidays at the E.R. or urgent care. We ended up getting a doctor who is doing her residency here, which I really didn't care. I don't think you need a medical degree to see if his ear drum is red, but you do need a medical degree to prescribe him some Amoxicillin (which he loves). Sure enough, she said that it was very infected and even let Larry compare the two ears. She still has some work to do to hone in her bedside manner (forbidding Natalie to have a piece of gum because she is 3 years 10 months, not 4) but I really didn't care today. And Natalie got a Belle sticker, so she was happy enough.
Ma picked up me and the kids over at the high school so that we could get Brady's prescription and get him started on it today, rather than having to wait until Larry got home this evening (you know, at 11:00pm). She also ran me around town getting a couple more errands done before dropping us back off. The problem with our plan was that both kids fell asleep on the way home and I had 3 bags of groceries, and 2 sleeping children that I had to encourage to hike across a 3 lane road and through 12 inches of snow through a trail... it was a noisy walk ("I'm cold!" "I'm tired" "I want you to carry me!" "Knock it off or I'm throwing your toys away!" "Stop your whining or you're going to straight to your room!" you know, lively family conversation).
I'm home, had a nice visit with my brother on the phone. I called him because he texted me this:

Can you spot the 44th President of the United States?

I enjoyed this on a couple of different levels, and I thought it was a nice visual history of who has run our country (old white men).
My baking has to stop at some point, I'm almost out of sugar. Tonight I made fudge and those Starbucks Cranberry bliss bars, and I'm making cinnamon rolls tomorrow for Christmas morning. My name is Heather, and I'm a bakeaholic.

1 comments:

Kate said...

I usually am a bakeaholic this time of year too. And I'm not this year. And it makes me sad.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Heather!