Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nevermind

***I went back and looked at all my posts, and several were duplicate drafts, and some were drafts that never got posted. So now I'm only at like 190...)***


So I had been thinking about what I might do/say today. I can't think of anything creative or jaw dropping, sorry. I will tell you a bit about my night at Haggen last night.
We arrived, and the Kid's play area was closed (break). By aisle 2 (after produce) I thought I might choke one of my children, so we headed back to the Kids area and dumped them off.
Got my shopping in, and suddenly heard the "LOST" sounds, you know the ones where people hear the voices before something bad happens? Yeah, those. Then I figured out it was the self-check registers talking to people all at once. It was a little disorienting to say the least.
Then I also happened to be shopping at the same pace as a older man and woman (do you ever have that, where you seem to be shopping "with" somebody else throughout the store?). Anyway, I eventually overheard their conversation and it made me so sad. The woman was a friend of the man, and it sounded like he had just lost his wife. She was teaching him how to grocery shop and what foods were normally in his kitchen ("well, she had frozen OJ in the freezer, the kind you mix with water. This is the fresh, and it's on sale so it would be good for you."). My heart sank. Clearly this man had lost someone he shared a lifetime with and was lost without her. I know, I know, how can a grown man not know how to shop? But if you think, he was like 70, and if his wife had done the shopping for the past 50 years... and I have an Uncle who is a retired Orthopedic surgeon, and when my Aunt passed away, he was eating hot pockets and fish sticks. When your "other half" is gone, sometimes you are only half a person, especially if you've worked your life out to be a team, and suddenly you're the only player on the field.

Anyway, headed to the checkout and when all was said and done, I had saved $66.23, and spent $120. Not too shabby. So I blew my savings on the Hanna Andersson sale today, and ordered my barstools (Augusta).

Happy 200, the sun is finally out in Bham, I'm outta here!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Dude, I only count 187 posts.

Heather said...

Huh, when I got to "post" it said Post 199. I think I deleted a couple.

Anonymous said...

Are you going for a record or something?

Anonymous said...

by the way....that was a heart warming story from the grocery store. And, good choice on the stool.