Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Breakthrough


My son.... I finally figured out his personality. He has Larry's mood swings with my mouth. Poor kid. And to top it all off, he has my stubborn streak. I can reason with Natalie "Stop or you're going to have a time out. Do you want a time out?" "NO" "Then stop your behavior" "OK, Mom" End of problem. But with Brady... each count usually brings a fury and the actual time out? Temper tantrum at it's finest. This is when my stubborn streak kicks in and it becomes a battle of wills, but I HAVE to win. Not just because I'm the mom and there would be a great shift if he won, but instinctually I CANNOT lose to him. And I think another problem that Brady and I have is that we are both the older sibling. It's like having 2 chiefs in the tribe, someones always trying to reign supreme.

Anyway. Back to B's Breakthrough. Everyone knows what a horrible eater Brady is. I mean, the poor kid gagged on water when he was a baby, like I was making him drink lemon juice.

So tonight I was munching on an apple that I had cut into slices. Of course, Natalie kept swiping slices. Brady steered clear. From an apple. So I get him into his room, casually offer him a slice. "No, thank you." So I start to bribe him. "Don't you want to see The Waterhorse (a movie)?" You see, his speech therapist and I have been making him earn "points" to go see new movies. He earned a trip to go watch The "Bee" movie by eating Top Ramen noodles, carrots and 3 bites of steak. I'm torturing this kid, right? So I tell him, this would earn you a point to go see that movie. I see his wheels start to turn. "I'd rather eat a carrot!" So I tell him that an apple is so much sweeter than a carrot, and if he liked carrots, he's love apples. And I remind him again of the "financial" benefit for eating A BITE of apple. So he agrees. And he sniffs the slice, rubs it over his lips, gives it a lick, then kind of munches into it, then FINALLY commits to biting it. His eyes light up and there is a glimmer of a smile. I casually note how much I like apples, and say "pretty good, huh?" "Um-hum." And he continues to eat his slice, where usually this is where he puts it down, having fulfilled his end of the deal by eating ONE bite. I play it cool. So he crawls into bed and we're talking and reading, and I have 2 slices of apple left. I offer him one. He eagerly takes it!!! Success. Another food on our list. Now shut up about it being just a damn apple. I'll take my wins no matter how small. I just want my kid to eat simple, healthy food. I don't expect great strides in diet, it would just be nice to be able to eat a simple meal with him. And it would be nice if this kid would trust me when I try and get him to try something new. I've never asked him to eat something that would turn a typical kid off. I don't make him eat beets like some moms I know (hi, Erin! love you!). And Larry just came home and is just as excited as I am, he appreciates this as much as I do. My son... he is teaching me all kinds of things, and forcing me to be patient and creative.

3 comments:

Erin said...

"make", I don't "make". Beets yes, V-8 yes, broccoli yes, "make" no. One day Brady will realize how incredibly fortunate he is to have been born to a mom that is nearly as picky as the average kid.

Kate said...

Good for you Heather! I hear ya...sometimes the baby steps are the biggest ones. We struggle with Zoe too, not as much in the variety department, but in the quantity that she eats. She's eats like a little bird and wants to snack all day long.

Perserverance, my dear, perserverance.

Cary McNeal said...

Raising kids is SO FRIGGIN' HARD! I only have one but good Lord. Every day is a new challenge. I love it, but man oh man, non-parents have absolutely NO CLUE!

I guess this is what all those people meant who told me, "Your life is about to change," before our daughter was born. Some nights my wife and I just collapse into bed, look at each other and just shake our heads, as if to say, "good god almighty, what have we gotten ourselves into?"

Still, I wouldn't trade it for the world.