Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I'm a friggin moron

So I did it again. I habitually arrive to events on the wrong day. Not like, "oops, this is so embarrassing" more like "Are you fucking kidding me, I did it again?"
I thought my friend Brooke was having an open house today. It's in 2 weeks. But I packed up the kids, went back to the invitation and wrote down her phone # and address (another opportunity to look at the date) and drove clear out to Lynden. Now Lynden is a destination, I don't just go out there for shits and giggles. I'm afraid if the moral patrol found out I was in town, I'd get my car impounded and brought down into the basement of the First Christian Reformed (or the Second, they have both. I always thought the "Second" was a Wayne's World joke, but apparently not in Lynden) and tortured until I conformed.

But anyway, she was kind enough to let us in and sit for an hour so that my trek wasn't totally in vain. My son thinks her son is the absolute pinnacle of boy-fun. So I'm glad I got to make my son happy at the expense of my ego.

I do this all the time. I showed up a week early (even got myself a babysitter for it) at another friends house to play bunco. And I showed up a day early to my very first appointment when I found out I was pregnant with Brady (had to drive 30 minutes to get to the appointment "on time" too.) Then the clinic laughed at me like I was so excited I couldn't wait to have my first appointment. That made me cry. If only they knew this is a chronic issue for me. I try to work on Saturdays when it isn't my week to work the weekend. It goes on and on. I've given up being embarrassed by it. I'm so grateful to the doctors offices that call and give you the reminder appointment, that saves me a lot of work.

Well, off to get the kids in bed. We got chased out my house all day, Larry had a poker/bowl game party that I'd rather not witness. I always feel like a hag when he's entertaining and I'm wrangling children, like I'm making people feel unwelcome or something. So after I crashed Brooke's house we went over to Erin's to play. Funny how kids seem to have the most fun playing together when you give them the 5 minute warning. Always nice to spend time with friends. And the best part about Lar's parties (the reason I allow them because they are usually late at night) is because he cleans the house top to bottom, and unlike children, the house is still clean when the parties over!)

1 comments:

Brooke said...

Your so funny! You are welcome anytime! Just sorry you had to see my house as it really is...messy!