Monday, April 14, 2008

The foot saga

So... I went to the podiatrist today and had some x-rays done (and got scolded for not putting down that I'm allergic to Sulfa drugs. 1. I forgot to put it down since the list of antibiotics that I'm allergic to is a mile long. 2. Is it really that important for my foot doctor to know that I can't take a certain drug for a cold?)

I have heel spurs (worse on my left foot) and so I got a nice injection of Cortisone into my heel (I'll let you think it was much more painful than it really was... but after having 2 children, nothing really "hurts" anymore in the grand scheme of things) and am wearing a sling around my ankle/heel, and Friday I go back to have molds made for orthotics. I love being in my 30's. What is next decade going to bring me? My heels look like the top picture, like a bone fishing hook.

A heel spur is a bony overgrowth on the bottom of your heel bone. The heel spur is usually a result of an inflamed ligament (plantar fascia) on the bottom of the foot that attaches to the heel bone. Constant abnormal pulling of this ligament irritates the heel bone and the body lays down a bone spur as a protective mechanism. Therefore, most of the pain is cause d by the inflamed ligament and not by the spur itself.


Now don't ask me how this heel spur repairs itself. I don't know, I mean I see how bone grows, but how does it go away? Without me depleting my body of nutrients? I'll find out Friday when I pummel the doc with questions. And I've found that my current orthotics work great in my Croc Mary Janes, and I am going to try them in my Keen's tomorrow. I'm bound and determined not to live my live in conventional shoes!!! (I don't want to hear from any of you about how me not wearing shoes contributed to my current problem. Just like your fat friend doesn't want to hear about not eating that bag of Cheetos while she complains of being overweight.)

I would also like to take the time to thank Jen for her "kind" offering of support hose to go with my orthotics, but I think I'll pass as I no longer work on concrete floors and my legs are alredady covered in spider veins, thankyouverymuch. Now, I've got to get to my walker and shuffle over to my Little Rascal to go for a cruise around the neighborhood. I've got an appointment next week to have my hair dyed blue and put up in a "do". I'm going to dye my miniature poodle the same color as my hair too. My lifetime subscription to Reader's Digest is in the mail. And I've got to get back to crocheting my margarine-tub cozy to hold my pennies for bingo night at the senior center. Oh and my late night snack is my Metamucil fiber wafer, tonights flavor is apple-cinnamon! I'll wash it down with a tall glass of Milk of Magnesia while I relax to the fine entertainment of Lawrence Welk on PBS, just before the TV turns on it's "off the air" call signal and plays the Star Spangled Banner.

4 comments:

t said...

omg thank you for that.. I needed the smile today

but you left out the best part.. don't we get to sit around playing canasta while sipping martinis all afternoon from here on out?

Heather said...

Problem... I'm not Jewish and neither are you.

t said...

we can convert or whatever.. I can say verklempt as good as any one

Jen said...

you are too funny sometimes!