Friday, September 5, 2008

He's gone...

Not many pictures yet of the day... mine were out of focus or only elbows or the back of a quickly moving head.
Brady started K today. It was extremely overwhelming, as they playground was full of wild children playing, then as the Kindergartners were marched from the playground to the cafeteria, they had to walk past dozens of older children gawking at the new faces. So once we got our instructions on where to sit for lunch (B tightly clutching my hand), I tried to help him select his seat for his meal. All of them were unsuitable. All of them were intimidating. Then the tears and the clutching to my shirttails began. I looked up and saw Grandma Honey's heart breaking for him (reminded her too much of B's dad). I decided then that it was time to give him a quick hug and kiss, tell him I'd see him at 3:30, and let the aide pry him from my body.
I walked away and when I turned around he was peeking in his lunch bag and bragging about the treats I put in there for his first day, all with a smile on his face.
It will be OK. I'll be OK. He is OK.
Hopefully Monday won't be so overwhelming and there will be more continuity to the start of his day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm sorry it was so crazy today. This morning seemed much calmer but when we were leaving the big kids were lining up for lunch and it seemed a little hectic. Mrs. R will have B feeling safe I'm sure.

Kate said...

He'll be a pro in no time (as will you).