Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On having a girl

Our neighbor gave us some shoes that she had outgrown. Natalie has fallen in love with her high heels. I was admiring her outfit when she instructed me to take her picture. This is how she posed for her shoot.



I was never the little girl who put on productions, or truly believed I was a princess. I never tap-danced for strangers or made up my own songs (lyrics and melody). I was never the girl who could strike up conversations with anyone. I never felt it was appropriate to ride around a lake in a pink tutu. I never went to a new place, saw strange children there and exclaimed "Look! My friends are here!". Natalie is all these things and more. And I love her a little more each day for who she is, and how full she has lived her life so far. She is one of those personalities that knows no boundaries, and I love it.

She's off to preschool today... I remember last year how worried I was for taking her to toddler school at such a young age, and when we arrived in her classroom she had this expression like "I HAVE ARRIVED!" It was like she had been waiting her whole life (all 2 1/2 years of it) for an outlet to release her imagination. And watching Brady get to go to school for the past 2 years, she finally had something that was just for her.

5 comments:

Jen said...

girls are good for us.

Lyndie said...

How adorable! It sounds like Delaney and Natalie would be good friends.

Erin said...

Always an act, that girl. Love those poses. Scary to think what a card their kids will be :)
Erin

Kate said...

Such a sweetie! I love how animated and confident she is. :) She's gonna take the world by the horns, that one.

Anonymous said...

So cute. She is a wonderful kid who is just as lucky to have you, her mom as you are to have her, your daughter.