Sunday, September 14, 2008

A sham (but I'm still believing)

Several times a day my daughter showers me with love and admiration. "I love you, mommy" "You're the best mommy in the whole world" "I love you ever time, mom" and so on.

This morning she was playing in her room while I folded laundry and I hear her doll "Chou-Chou" (we pronounce it Shu-Shu, like my friend. I don't know if it's correct or not but I don't care). Chou-Chou is a talking doll. Sometimes she even talks en espanol. Then I hear the words (en ingles) "You're the best mommy in the whole world", "I love you, mommy", coming not from my daughters mouth, but from Chou-Chou's. Then Natalie quickly catches her faux-pas and says "You're the best mommy in the whole world too, Mama".

Man, it was like busting your parents being the tooth fairy or something. It took the wind out of my sails that these words of admiration weren't original, but I know she believes them to be true, so I do too. I mean, who hasn't bought a Hallmark card to express emotion? Who hasn't sung lyrics of a song to a loved one? Who hasn't quoted great literature? So why can't Natalie quote Chou-Chou?



No picture of Chou-Chou, but here is the obligitory photo. Natalie appeared out of nowhere and told me to be quiet, her baby was sleeping. Upon further investigation this is what I found: Natalie dragged her cradle upstairs and into my closet to put her AFLAC duck to bed, using a kitchen towel as a blanket.

1 comments:

Erin said...

It's not a sham, she believes it with her whole heart.