Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fun Fourth

Natalie trying to catch the breeze.



Mentally preparing herself at the start of the race, oops I mean parade.

Aiden, Christian, Natalie, and Brady waiting for their heat of the sack race.


I love you, you love me...




Yesterday was an all-around great day. We headed out to meet a group of dear friends and their families at Elizabeth Park. The kids decorated their bikes and paraded around the neighborhood before settling down for a picnic and some old-fashioned American games: Potato sack race, 3-legged race, and the Wheelbarrow race.
Then we went up to the Res. in Ferndale and bought a bunch of fireworks (ran into our neighbors too, so we collaborated on what to buy).
My mom came back over to our place (she joined us at the park), and we BBQ'ed ribs, and salad. I decided to break out one of my bottles of Blackjack (the winery from the movie Sideways) wine that I got at Cowgirl weekend in Solvang CA. It was delish. So we opened a bottle of Chuckanut Ridge Bad Bunny, which was also wonderful, even if I bought it simply for the label (a smoking rabbit).
Mom left after Larry started setting fireworks off a little to close to her new car (we teased him on his "3 simple steps to get your MIL to depart"). My mom said the nicest thing to me before she left as we were watching my kids play in the front yard. She said "I"m so glad I moved up here." Feelings mutual, mom.
We topped off the night with our neighbors and their children, enjoying the company and fireworks.
And the rain didn't return until this morning!



My proud pyro.

I love watching kids go cross-eyed watching something...
Deuling sparklers. Daddy brought out the big stuff.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Fun times! I was so glad the weather cooperated.

Samantha Seholm said...

Wow looks like alot of fun, I forgot about the parade, we live only a few blocks from Elizabeth park. I will have to remember next year, Anyways looks like you and your family had a great day.