Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Real life

Brady signing his name to one of his caterpillar circles at the library.

My daughter was drawing people and dogs. I'd never seen her create actual decipherable drawings before, I was a little dumbstruck. I wanted to keep one, but decided no.

Today we had a day that I felt would be like what "real" people live. The ones whose husbands come home at dinner time, instead of leaving at lunchtime like Larry does.

He had a rare morning (8-5:30) shift today, so the kids and I had a leisurely morning, then grabbed the umbrellas (yes, on July 29th) and caught the bus downtown. We had lunch and then went to the library to turn in their reading club cards (they earned a pass to the children's museum and a mini pizza from Fairhaven pizza), and loaded the backpack up with some new reads. (oh, and we went to Great Harvest Bread. If you bring in a picture of your kid with their dog, they'll give you a whole loaf of honey wheat bread! yummy. Say cheese, kids!)

Larry came home and we had dinner (gasp!), then we treated the kids to an evening swim before bringing them home and putting them to bed. Actually, Larry is reading Flat Stanley (a new library book) right now, and I'll go down in a few minutes and snuggle them in.

It made me think that this is how most people get to live. Today sure was much easier, and much more structured than other days. I'd like to have a real life. But I am also grateful that Larry has a stable, well paying job for a good company and that I have no fears that he could become unemployed tomorrow. It's safe. I like safe. But I like sane, too. Guess I can't have both!
(p.s. this is stupid, but I just ran the spell check feature, and see that word decipherable up there on Natalie's photo? I spelled it right! I'm pretty impressed with myself right now. Ah, the simple joys.)

4 comments:

Erin said...

oooh, I like free stuff! Thanks for the tip.

Erin

Anonymous said...

What a nice day! I'm so glad that you got a taste of what "life that real people live". hahaha I have yet to experience that smooth of a day. ;)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Quote of Natalie today is quite cute. Tell her I'm glad that Chocolate is no longer MIA. :)

Kate said...

Sounds like a great day. Any chance Larry could get that shift permanently??