Sunday, November 2, 2008

Too much touching


I got "touch overload" during our vacation. My children insisted on having physical contact with me every moment we were there. I couldn't tuck my hair behind my ear without someone frantically reaching for my hand because they were disconnected from me for 2.5 seconds. I know, I know, they were feeling insecure about their new environment and needed my touch for reassurance, but I'm not the kind of mommy that can handle 24/7 contact. By the end of our trip I was walking around with my hands in my pockets just for 5 minutes of relief (am I a bad person?).

Now that we're back home, Natalie has decided she is petrified of her bedroom, resulting in Brady spending many nights with her. He finally insisted on sleeping in his own bed which caused a huge tantrum on Natalie's behalf.

Besides the nighttime routine being out of whack, I'm being awoken every morning at about 6 am (5 am now with daylight savings), with 2 children making me into a mom sandwich. So my back and neck hurts from days of being smushed in my bed and having my pillow stolen. (*note, we usually don't wake up in this house until 8).

And the icing on the cake... Brady has decided that the best spot to watch a cartoon while I try to read the Sunday paper is on the seam of the couch (not on the next cushion, but in the seam so that he rolls onto my arm and leg, which makes reading a paper and drinking a cup of coffee quite a challenge). So then I feel like a monster for insisting that he scoot 2 feet away from me, when all he's doing is trying to sneak a snuggle.

I love my kids and love to hug and snuggle and be near them. But sometimes the only thing I like touching my skin is air and cotton.

1 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh that makes me laugh. I feel the same thing is going on here right down to Dane refusing to sleep unless he is curled up with Gage. Poor gage, he is trying to be a good brother, but I can tell he is getting tired of this! I dislike the clock changing too!!! Messes everything up.