Saturday, May 24, 2008

Carney Lovin'

Carnivals that is, not the actually Carney's. One had 3 teeth and a bum hand (like a dog mauled it, it was splinted and covered in bandages). Another was your typical ex-con lookin' kinda guy. And another was what I assumed was a woman. She seemed to have a carney groupie hanging around her. The groupie had plenty of teeth (they were horse-size) and she was sporting the ponytail-mullet. Spikey on top and a stringy piddly ponytail in the back. And the carney baby she had harnessed into one of those baby leashes (actually good parenting in a carney environment I bet, it would be scary to lose one from town to town. Or in Bellinghams case, from parking lot to parking lot).

But nonetheless, I gave my kids tickets to ride on rides assembled by each of these people (hey, it's a paying job that offers them room and board, and apparently an endless supply of cigarettes, but hey. I am happy to support their employment rather than their UN-employment).

I think Natalie got bored on the helicopter ride, so she resorted to doing this every time she came by.


Apparently Brady and another boy bonded while waiting in line to ride the airplanes, because although they were the only 2 on the ride, the decided to ride in the same pod.


Natalie took her very first roller coaster ride this day too. I think her and I are on the same opinion of roller coasters and things like that. No, thanks. But she was a trooper. She had her hands in the air until the split second the roller coaster took off, then she was glued to the safety bar. And I think her face started to splotch up a bit. But she never let on that she was terrified. No crying, she even took time to stick her tounge out at her brother as she passed by. Now, this is a 3-year old sized roller coaster. So don't go thinking I threw her on Splash Mountain by herself or something. Sheesh.


But of course I only had enough money to whet their palate, and tantrums ensued when the rides were over. I promised them a better experience when the County Fair rolls into town.


You can take the girl out of the county...

2 comments:

t said...

Room and board? Did the tent city on the side escape your view?

Secondarily, my memory is so bad that I re-read your blog to remember what I was about to comment on. Geritol anyone?

cmhl said...

I just checked, I have had the name "Crouching Mommy, Hidden Laundry" since February 2005. The original blog I moved to a secure location because of some "cyber-stalkers" but I would be glad to let you have access if you want to confirm the site.